1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post, post graduate

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by bahn_farang, 20 Jul 2016.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

As my PGCEi draws to a close, I am left with a renewed thirst for learning. Perhaps it is not to everybody's cup of tea but 'hitting the books', as it is said, has proved more than just an interesting way to pass the time.

Admittedly, those doing the smorgasbord of academic offerings online do so indulge in the learnings for a variety of reasons. With this in mind a simple question if you may.

Particularly to the more academically qualified, but also to those having entertained the idea of further study, what are the options post post?

The Nottingham MA looks a viable option and not totally beyond my humble purse. Having said this however, no doubt there are other offerings.

As a secret (I would say less so now after this admission) academic snob, I would prefer universities with world wide recognition.

Your thoughts and advice would as ever be much appreciated.

2. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

take a look at the Bath Masters, that's what comes recommended from my school.

bahn_farang likes this.
  3. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

Oh lord, this post is bringing out the pedant in me LOL Forgive me @bahn_farang!

The BA/BS/BEd degrees are known as undergraduate degrees. Work done after an undergraduate degree (such as a certificate or credential: teaching license, or another degree outside one's chosen fiend of study) are postbaccalaureate programs. Graduate programs are MA/MS/M.Ed programs (generally in your chosen field of study). Post graduate programs are PhD. After that comes post doctoral. At least that's how it was done at my alma mater.

Again, apologies for the hijack. Now back to the regularly scheduled OP.

ramses and bahn_farang like this.
  4. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Well bahn_farang I have just started the Institute of Education's Masters in Education. A potential five year odyssey. Does it come with any more snob appeal rated as the world's leading graduate school of education!? You certainly pay for the privilege - a registration fee just south of £1,000 and modules charged at just south of £2,000. Four modules and a dissertation; the dissertation charged at £3,500; all in about £12,000. I think you could do it in 2 years and if you apply for exemptions you might be able to squeeze it into a year but I think you would need to be virtually full-time to do it in a such short period. Two compulsory units: What is Education and Understanding Research, from neither of which can you be exempted on the basis of prior learning. After that you have a choice of two from a range of interesting modules.

As befits a top class institution the administration has not been its strong suit. It's quite confusing actually. You apply via the University of London International Programmes but actually become a student of University College London, of which the Institute of Education is a collegiate member. They have merged with UCL in the last two years and they are still sorting out the merger in day to day terms like library access.

One of the strong points is the flexibility in terms of time and in terms of methods of study. Basically you have five years to finish and you can work out the timings to your needs. If your schedule allows you can even attend elements in London but it is possible to do everything online, although not all modules are available online. For instance they have an intensive lecture series in London for the Maths module over two week of Easter which I could attend. They also provide lecture programmes, one of which I am about to tune into next week when a two week series of lectures and tutorials commences on the What is Education? module. I've trialled the software, something called Collaborate, and basically I can join the live lectures and can even participate in the tutorials which follow. They will also post recordings of the lectures and discussions for download if you are unable to attend live. The programme looks very interesting as the lectures feature some of the giants of the world of education.

The library facility is mind blowing - Nottingham's was impressive but this is stellar, exactly what you would expect from one of the world's leading research centres.

It's early doors right now, a little confusing getting to know your way around and the dates on which modules began, but the content so far looks good and my limited dealings with the academic staff have been really good. Ask me in two weeks when the lecture series for Module 1 has ended and I am getting to grips with my 5,000 word assignment!

Good luck with Assignment 4 at Nottingham!

Last edited: 21 Jul 2016
    professeur, sirchai and bahn_farang like this.
  5. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

I submitted my enrollment form for a Masters in Applied Linguistics at Khon Kaen University last week. Still waiting for a reply... Just something to provide a bit of insurance. Yes, other universities are better, but I don't want to travel. I would like to do something in education, but they don't have anything available in English.

bahn_farang and portnoy58 like this.
  6. bahn_farang

Thank you all for your constructive comments,

Portnoy58 I almost had a fit looking at the website when it said 11000 pounds but by the sound of it, it is a quality offering.

Cheers Po, Bath is certainly worth considering,

Wang, cheers for the clarification of terms.

Chuchinsoon, please keep us updated sounds interesting, sadly I am unable to relocate to a bigger city right now

7. portnoy58

bahn_farang you can pay it on the go so to speak, module by module. Still a lump of money but.....let's see how it unravels.

bahn_farang likes this.
  8. bahn_farang

Over 5 years sounds doable, hows the access to journals? as good as nusearch?

9. portnoy58

It's much better for journals - there is a much wider range; they'll even post books to you in Thailand on short term loans for a fee; inter library service; and I've been able to download books in digitised form, like the whole book without any time limit. You can access ERIC and the British Education Database and virtually every other significant database including all the PISA/OECD/ stuff and the databases link to what they hold in the library - it's all there really. You can download software on their licenses too - so I've signed up for their VPN and that gets me something like 50 GB of storage, of course I nipped in to download some stuff of the BBC iPlayer, tut tut - but the admin is all a bit crazy. The module virtual learning environment has crashed so no one can get in right now and IT are working on it ..... again! What I will say is the academic people actually do feel like human beings - they've been really welcoming and helpful; they give you the time of day. I've attached the current module descriptor which gives a good idea of the structure and options.

Attached Files:

professeur and bahn_farang like this.
  10. bahn_farang

Po, Dr. Mary Hayden at Bath is certainly a pull to the Bath Program, have any of your colleagues done or are in the process of doing this MA? Thank you for you time.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2016
  11. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

i know of 3 currently doing it and 5+ that have completed it. it really is *the* MA to do at our school, which also happens to host the Bath teachers for seminars when they come over..

12. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

i'll try and remember to dig the info out 2moro. if i don't, bug me out about it till i do it.

bahn_farang likes this.
  13. bahn_farang

Thank you Po, I have taken a look at their offer and am a little confused at the costings. Bath remains however a strong offer based on your recommendation. You (in my opinion) have insider knowledge based on your experience within the international set. Thank you:thai wai

14. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

it'd from an old flyer but most complete one still in my email.

bahn_farang likes this.
  15. bahn_farang

Thank you Po this is a great help, much appreciated