1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rayong

Discussion in 'Region Guides' started by legh, 30 Jul 2013.

1. legh

legh Thread Starter New Member

Easy to get to from Bkk on a minibus or big bus from Ekkami -160 bht.(2 and a half hours) Its on the sea - Samet island is another 20 mins away at Ban Phe. This is the heart of Thailands industry ; also serious agriculture and fishing port. The town is very modern but has a quainter older centre but you can get anything here. Big shopping Mall, 2 Big C's and major Tesco's, good nightlife and plenty of bars and restaurants. Housing is affordable and easy , so are jobs at 30000 bht a year. Not many tourists and the locals are really friendly . A good a place as any for a first year teaching job and a town where one would not feel too disorientated in. To escape you can fly with Bangkok airways from the local airport (Utapo) to Phuket and Koh Samui or travel south to Koh Chang. Transport in around the city is plentiful and so it's easy to get around if you don't want to brave the roads!

2. Dakling

Dakling New Member

I lived in Rayong province for about 2 years and I think it is a great option for teachers. Ban Chang has one international school with a very good reputation (REPS), though I don't have any first had knowledge of the school so maybe the reputation is unearned. Rayong city has a large Assumption/St Joseph campus as well as a number of local Thai schools that are always looking for teachers. I think the best thing about the job market in Rayong would be on the corporate and/or private side. There are massive industrial estates, refineries and other heavy industry all around the city so corporate work should be plentiful. the locals in Rayong are pretty well off in general so good paying evening private work is also possible. There is adequate local transportation via songtauw but no Bangkok style taxi's, I think a motorcycle is a good option and you can rent them in the area for about 3-4k baht/month.

There are 3 pretty good large public beaches east of the city (Hadmaerlampung, Suan Son, and Laem Maepim) as well as numerous tiny beaches along the coast (particularly good ones between Suan Son and Laem Maepim). There is nice quiet western retiree vibe to Hadmaerlampung; Suan Son and Laem Maepim seem to be more of a Scandinavian enclave but the western community is dwarfed by the Thai tourists that descend on the area for long weekends. Most of the people I have met there were great and tend to be people who don't want to live in Pattaya or Phuket but still want to be near the beach. There are plenty of western restaurants available in the beach areas, many run by expats with Thai wives. Cost of living is very reasonable and other than paying about 3-5 kbaht more per month for rent, I found prices basically the same as what I find in Issan. If you have a small motorbike you can easily ride from the city to Had Maerlampung in under 1/2 hour.

Rayong has all the amenities you need but it is a typical mid sized Thai city, you won't mistake it for Bangkok. Traffic can be a pain during rush hour as all the schools and factories seem to open at the same time so mornings can be busy on the one main road that runs east-west through the downtown. As previously mentioned you are only about a 2.5 hr van ride from Ekami or Victory monument and only about 1hr from Pattaya.

As with every other place there are a few drawbacks, the biggest is that the beaches often range from somewhat filthy to disgusting with everything from polystyrene to dog feces everywhere. In order from most filthy to least I would say it is Had Maerlampung, then Suan Son and least filthy Laem Maepim, thogh depending on the day it can be a toss up. Some of the small semi-private beaches between Suan Son and Laem Maepim would likely be your best bet but they are a bit farther from Rayong and some will not be comfortable riding a motorbike that far.

Ban Phe is also the home of TEFL International if that is important to anyone. If you are considering trying to find a gig near the ocean give Rayong a look. Some will be put of by the filth on the beaches or the industrial complex you are surrounded by but for some I think it will fit the bill. Being that close to the ocean the weather feels cooler and less humid than BKK and there is almost always a breeze of the water during the monsoons.

Stamp likes this.
  3. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Good insight.. can anyone get me a job down there? :happy1:

Mati likes this.
  4. Farang_Ba

Farang_Ba Active Member

Is the Cost of Living similar to Isaan in Rayong? Thanks! :happy1:

5. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

where have I heard this before?

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

hope you travel light with all the moving:thai wai:

7. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Nah.. I'm all right.. only fishing..:thumbsup2:

8. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Well-Known Member

Well the most straight reply that I can give you to this question is NO.
    Simply because you cannot compare the provisional wealth of Issan Provinces with this of the East Coast provinces. Rayong Province is the richest province (per capita) of all Thailand. I would compare the cost of living here (as I am living 3 years in Rayong province) to this of BKK mostly because even Thais getting big salaries, (most of my Thai friends get at least 20K more than my teacher salary here), from the industries that are based in the area, they have big fruit farms or rubber tree fields. Hence prices are going up. In some cases my wife who was living in BKK tells me that she finds Rayong more expensive than a district of BKK. Of course in rural areas you can expect that the cost come to some balance but it does not even close to the cheap life of Issan.

9. Dakling

Dakling New Member

Sorry I am not online too much so tend to be slow to reply.

I find the cost of living in Rayong very similar to Issan. There are a few differences though. I think the biggest thing is rent, if you want to rent a studio in the city of Rayong you would likely pay about double what you would pay in Issan. I am thinking in the range of 5-7k baht in Rayong as apposed to 3-4k baht in Issan. Other than that most costs are the same or very similar. For instance, in my village in Issan I can get a big plate of Pad Kapow with an egg and a small side bowl of soup for about 5 baht less than the same plate of pad Kapow without the egg or soup in Rayong. In other words a cheap Thai meal in rayong may be 5 or 10 baht more in Rayong than it is in Issan but it isn't that big of a deal. Beer is gonna be the same price and be honest what do you spend more money on anyhow.

I think the biggest difference is that in Issan I have to look around to find to find restaurants that serve food that I want to eat (ie. without congealed blood or offal mixed in with the meat). In Rayong you will have to look around to find the shops that the working class Thais eat in because the nicer shops tend to be significantly more expensive (about 100% markup for the same meal if you want nice seats and aircon).

Most people don't compare apples to apples when they compare Issan prices to Central Thai prices. If you co into a nice airconditioned restaurant with proper cutlery, place-mats, napkins and all that you should expect to pay double (or more). Rayong has allot more on offer in the area of farang food and upper scale Thai/Japanese/Korean eateries so if you go to these places you will spend much more than you would in Issan. On the other hand if you live an Issan village lifestyle in Rayong the costs will be very similar though rent will be a bit more.

You can save lots of money on other things though, for instance if you need to run into Bangkok to your embassy or to pick up some special bit of kit it will only cost you 200 baht and 2.5 hrs in a van as apposed to 500+baht and 10 hrs on a VIP bus. Also you may find you save much more on your alcohol spending when you have better options on activities, a day at the beach can be had for next to no money if you aren't drinking while you are there. I find in Issan I have little to do other than get drunk and stay drunk until I leave. Since I don't drink Lao Kao that means my drinking in Issan more than offsets any savings I might find here.

Granted if you live in a place like Udon, Ubon, Korat or Khon Kean maybe you have more to do than I do out in the village but I much prefer spending time in Rayong over Issan. Unfortunately familial responsibilities mean that it is usually the other way around.

Cheers on wherever you prefer, everyone has different ways to value these things. Feel free to disagree with me and I will reserve the right to do the same.