1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remember the future? Or what I'm missing in LOS.......

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by sirchai, 15 Sep 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Just talked to my wife about the past. A time where I could talk to the Captain of a 747 ( a bloody Brit), if it wouldn't be possible to stay in his cockpit for a few minutes.

I can fly tiny Ultra light planes and we had a short chat when he wanted to know my name and told me that I'm welcome to join them in the cockpit. License is gone by now and I'd have to do a lot of paperwork in Europe to be able to fly again....Okay. Past !

About 20 minutes after take off, I went to the first class compartment, the Steward immediately telling me that I wasn't allowed to stay there, but I told him to tell Craig ( the pilot) that I'm here, waiting to get inside the cockpit.

I've heard "Craig" telling the guy to let me in, and that I'd be his "mate.". Then I'd spent about three hours in the cockpit, we made plenty of jokes and he showed me some instruments, explained some stuff, that the left fuel pump will replace the right in case of a malfunction and vice versa. And a lot laughter.

It was nice to see the Captain being a great guy and I was on my way to Bangkok, he flew for an Arab airline, sad that Royal Brunei Airlines doesn't offer their very cheap flights anymore. Kerosene was for free, I guess.

Then in Pattaya, I only paid 500 baht for the one I wanted to stay with for 24 hours, of course plus a few baht for the bar, the food was great, Ko Samet still a nice place with luxury bungalows ( big enough for 10 people) for 500 baht/night. No electricity at night was much better, not too many people, clean beaches and it was something I'll never forget.

Plenty of great musicians in Pattaya and I really fell in love with that place. I had some Thai friends, one of them a great guitar player I often hang out with. It was a nice time I wouldn't like to have missed.

Then a speed boat trip from Ko Samet to a neighboring island, I still remember a weird German who freaked out that his wife smoked a little pot there. But everybody on this island, also the cop who's waiting for us and welcomed us, was part of the "rolling guys".

I tried my best and could create a few fat ones that made quite a few people happy. That was maybe 16 years ago.

I made the mistake and went back to the island with my wife and son and all, I mean all had changed. And I did realize that many things had changed, but not in a positive way.

The 500 baht bungalows from before were 5,000 baht, weird wannabe Rastafarians with fake dreadlocks everywhere, similar to Pai these days.

Pai was also a little paradise. The first foreigner who opened up a restaurant with great food was a German guy, really okay and he all in a sudden disappeared. Like so many other nice things in LOS.

We spent a lot of money and even when we took squid back home, the price had skyrocketed.

Living in Pattaya 16 years ago, there's no doubt about that I'd go for it. But now, it seems to be a different world.

I guess that I'm not alone starting my trips in Pattaya, what about you?

Any stories would be great. Thanks a lot in advance. BTW, I've never inhaled that stuff.

professeur likes this.
  2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

My "trip" began in Papeete.

A few months later, I crossed the border into Thailand by train from Butterworth. My first stop was in Bangkok. I headed to Soi Ngamduphli to buy a ticket home. The next day I visited Bank of America to receive some money.

Then my life changed. I've visited 50 to 55 countries, depending on how you count. I'm now in the fourth country I've lived, worked and paid taxes in. My third marriage appears to be my last. I can't imagine her predeceasing me, and even if she does I'll be past my use-by date.

I've thought that my life is winding down several times during the past twenty years and I've been wrong every time.

Clown, professeur, marcusb and 2 others like this.
  3. professeur

professeur Well-Known Member

My trip started at Khao San road back in 2000; four weeks backpacking with one of my buddies. For the first two days I seriously wondered what the f@#k I was doing here; it was hot, crowded and everybody seemed to want a piece of me. Got hassled by tuktuk-drivers, lady-boys and guys in shirts and tie wanting to sell me (fake) gold and jewelry; hated the place. Another three days later and I was hooked. Kept coming back until I decided to move here back in 2005.

I can relate to some of the things Sirchai is referring to. When I first visited Ko Chang for instance it was still a remote and quit island. No ATM's, expensive resorts or Indian tailors back than. Lonely beach was still lonely with no electricity past 6 pm and only a dirt road connecting it to the rest of the world. Prices where a lot lower too; big Chang beers at Khao San rd for 50 Baht, airon rooms for 300 THB and 420 for a ticket to KoSamui.

I guess it's the never ending cycle of places getting more expensive and touristy.

sirchai likes this.
  4. sirchai

Thanks a lot for sharing that. I know how hard it can be to tell the truth. " I've met my wife at a seminar for astrophysics and we instantly fell in love." She wasn't interested in my money just because I'm such a handsome guy.

The truth is that my wife's a farmer's daughter, but never worked in a bar before. When we met, I could hardly order a noodle soup and she didn't speak English. But there's love. No idea how to explain that....

I want to be honest, the one hotel clerk started to rename me from a "butterfly" to a "helicopter",some days I came with three different girls and it was nice. I always stayed at the "Mountain View" in Pattaya, near the Buddha hill, before all the condos grew like mushrooms. and had some "special privileges" there.

Always "my room 228" and a few other goodies. Special conditions because I always stayed longer than a week..the employees gave me their motorbike when i arrived and and and...

I'm trying to remember my friend's name, a Thai guy who looked a little Muslim like, smoked and drank a lot, but made fantastic music with his Fender guitar.

Oh, Alzheimer, his name's "Blacky". A nice guy and we became friends over the years. Difficult to find such people these days.

A sad part of my life was when I had to cut my nice long hair when I became a teacher and honestly speaking, I've learned a lot about English, grammar, sentence structure through teaching English.

2005 was a great time to start as a foreign English teacher and I still had enough savings that I made it more as a hobby. They took all whiteys who could out a few English words together and work permit wasn't an issue.

Sorry, for being so honest. Please write a few words how/why you saddled down in this country, I mean there's a possibility that some of us didn't come to Lieland because of its temples, or?

20160812_140244.jpg

Last edited: 16 Sep 2016
  5. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

It was 2002 when a friend said he found a cheap flight to Bangkok. Would I join him and a mate?

They were on a shagging holiday (treating some girls aboninably, but that's another story).

Back then, I didn't try Thai food. What a mistake!

In the morning, I saw the ladies of the night and their sad eyes. Old women trying to sell food stuff like an egg on a grill which must have weight near 8 kg.

There was a good night club, Polo Entertainment. Went there a few times and ended up on stage now and then. Fond memories.

Now, I loathe Pattaya and prefer the mountains

1.jpg

IMG_2659.JPG

6. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

Cannot post more images?

14055195_1834360413452607_5250810430374509993_n.jpg

image.jpeg

7. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

I stayed in Chaing Khong for a month back in 2001 when i first came here. A bag of green was 70 baht and enough for a week. Huge breakfasts at the Danish guy's restaurant washed down with beer and half a dozen blue tablets.
    I remember a guy telling me he can get me a girl. How much? i said. 4000 he replied. Expensive i thought, but then i realized you got to keep her.
    Later that year in Chaing mai i disappeared along a track and came across a hill tribe village, a proper one with no tourists. The kids took me to a hut and i stayed for 3 days in that den.
    I will never forget coming around and seeing my new friend grinning and handing me the pipe.

8. sirchai

Can’t believe that you went for the green thingies and let the nice flowers rot in hell. Is the girl you once bought for 4 K now your long necked wife, or maid?

The blue tablets are mostly orange in color these days, because these German and French frog leg eaters are way too expensive.

I’m just wondering what the new grinning friend did to you when you were in a world sitting on clouds and listening to Elves (not damn Presley) …time isn’t important and the always itchy face looks funny after scratching it for a while.

BTW, I don’t think that you’re chasing the dragon and certainly believe that the dragon was chasing you. The same dragon might have turned into a house dragon now, who warms up a noodle soup for you from time to time.

Should the little pipe still get your attention, you might consider a trip to Pai and watch the fake Rastafarian tourists who continually crash when a little bit drunk on their scooters. Even when you warn them. They seem to be made out of a very low IQ specy and very different to those who wore real Rasta hair when it began...

The last restaurant before the waterfall on the left isn’t really there to create the fantastic Thai cuisine, it’s more a place where you can buy dangerous dreams and you can make special orders that come from Mae Hong Son usually on foot. “Miss Little packets for the jackets” will give you a warm welcome smile and you’ll have your thingy in a minute.

And you can rent their superior room with a real Panorama view. All included. You can see the whole Pai Valley.

But don’t make the mistake and stay there longer, the cooling chambers are always to 170 % filled……and nobody would like to visit you there to identify a tired man.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2016
  9. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Blue tablets mate, same they are now. Could get 500 from the pharmacy for 1000 baht. 50 or 60 a day were not unheard of.