1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schools told to screen foreign applicants for paedophilia

Discussion in 'Education from Thailand' started by Stamp, 6 Jul 2015.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

6 Jul 2015 at 14:52

School administrators have been told to run background checks on foreigners applying for work as teachers to weed out convicted paedophiles, an Education Ministry official said Monday.

Assistant Minister Thirakiat Charoensethasilp said the directive was sent every educational institution in the country after the British embassy recently received a report that a British national with a record of child sexual abuse in the UK had applied for a job as a foreign language teacher in Thailand.

Additionally, in the case of British applicants, schools were advised to check the UK's Association of Chief Police Officers' (Acro) Criminal Records Office website to determine if they have any sort of criminal record and require they present an Acro police certificate.

That is a way of screening foreigners to prevent students from becoming crime victims, Mr Thirakiart told Daily News Online.

"Those with records of child sexual abuse in the United Kingdom often look for a job as a teacher or a volunteer in other countries. Many of them choose to look for a teaching job or other jobs concerning children," he added.

Thee Pawangkanont, chief Office of the Basic Education Commission's childassistance centre, said Obec had sent a letter containing the instructions to directors of the offices of primary and secondary education in all its educational zones.

Schools told to screen foreign applicants for paedophilia | Bangkok Post: news

Is the focus on British teachers only? :chinrub

bahn_farang likes this.
  2. dave123

dave123 Smurf Diver

I can just see the Thais doing this :smiling And who will pay?

Third party applications
    ACRO can only supply personal data to the individual to whom it relates. If you are making an application on behalf of someone else (this is known as a 'third party application') you will need to provide a signed letter of authorisation from the person whose data is being requested plus proofs of identity that show the true applicant's signature as detailed above. Valid proofs include a copy of the passport, driving licence or identity card. You must have scanned copies of these documents saved to your computer or device and upload them when prompted.

Payment
    The fee for making a Subject Access application is £10.00 sterling. To apply online you will need to make this payment to the Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire via the Worldpay payment service using a debit or credit card. We accept the following card types only:

https://www.acro.police.uk/Subject_Access_Online.aspx

Stamp likes this.
  3. Stamp

Thanks for this, dave123. :thumbs up

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

good news for child protection. hope it is expanded to all countries

5. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

I was told I had to provide a criminal record check for my job so I did. and they never actually checked it. I've still got the form. I can't see a random private school in the suburbs bothering at all.

6. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Whilst I believe/hope that the number of paedophile's is not quite the tidal wave of nonces headed to Thailand that the article seems to suggest, it is a big problem. It only takes one to cause unimaginable damage to a child's life and untold damage to the reputation of the foreign teachers in that school/city/province. Yes, it will be a ball ache to get these checks done and it will cost a few thousand baht, but as far as I am concerned it is an absolute must for all teachers regardless of nationality.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2015
    bahn_farang likes this.
  7. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

It is not that hard for an American to get this done from Thailand. What you want is called an "Identity History Summary Check" and it will come from the FBI. You do NOT go directly to the FBI for this. Instead you go through an FBI-approved channeler such as VetConnex. You can write the FBI itself, but the process will be much longer.

www.vetconnex.com

(952) 224-8656

Download the fingerprint card (or get a free copy at the U.S. Embassy). Get your fingerprints taken by the police or some government official (yes, you probably have to go to Bangkok for this. See below.) and submit the two cards and copies of your IDs (Passport, Driver's License, etc) to Vetconnex. This will cost you about 45 dollars. I have attached the form. EMS it to Vetconnex, and it only takes one day for them to process it. They will email you a copy of your result, and the hard copy follows by normal post.

There is some headache involved here, but at least it can be done.

More information from the US Embassy:

Fingerprint Cards | Embassy of the United States Bangkok, Thailand

The U.S. Embassy can supply you with the fingerprinting cards for free.

The U.S. Embassy cannot perform the fingerprinting process. Take the fingerprint card to the Thai Police Clearance Service center for inking.

The Police Clearance Service Center
    Royal Thai Police, Building 24
    Rama I
    Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330
    Phone: 02-205-2168 or 2169
    Email: pcscenter@royalthaipolice.go.th; pcsc.thaipolice@gmail.com

For information on how to obtain a U.S. criminal record check from a local/state police department or the FBI, click here.

For information on how to obtain a Thai police clearance certificate, visit the Police Clearance Service Center website (Welcom TO The Police Clearance Service Cener Special Branch Royal Thai Police). A map to the Police Clearance Service Center is available here.

If you have additional questions, please send an email to American Citizen Services at ACSBKK@state.gov.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally, this is the record check that one needs in order to teach in China or South Korea (those are the two I know of). For South Korea it will need a special authentication above the level of a Notary.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 7 Jul 2015
    Cal Roy and Stamp like this.
  8. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

About time, again... and again. There was a brief period when I first arrived here in 2011, when immigration (Bangkok) required a 'CRB' check in order to 'convert' a TR visa to a B visa at CW.

Luckily I had, being the good boy scout I am, secured a 'subject access request' (under the new FOI Act) document from my local police force. This detailed all the information the police held about me, including arrests, cautions & unspent convictions.

Now the UK system has changed & you have to apply for an ACRO which is only available, no doubt, through a private third party organisation; have to look into this...

Is anyone getting a sense of deja vu? Wasn't there a British paedophile found working in an Isaan school last year, generating the same outcry & knee-jerk response that faded away?

EDIT: Yes

British Paedophile Suspect Held At Thai School

9. Stamp

Thanks dave123 and DavidUSA. I will use your contrivbution to start separate posts.

10. Stamp

11. Stamp

12. SausageS

SausageS Member

Be interesting to see how this works for people who have not been resident in UK for a number of years, but wish to change schools.
    I changed schools about 4 years ago after being in Thailand for almost 5 years. I contacted the met police information and they suggested I get a disclosure of information under the data protection act as I could not apply for a criminal record search for myself. The problem arose when they ask for proof of address for the past 5 years. Utility bill maybe? I got no utility bills here with my name on that links me to an address..... maybe a rental agreement? I don't think so.

In the end, they advised me to get a Thai criminal record search done instead..... which did not fit my time frame to get a new non o while in UK.

Thai embassy in Liverpool told me they never request to see a criminal record search for the visa.

When I first came to work here, I'd already been teaching at a local college / university, so had a record search in hand. The school had no idea what it was when I gave it them. When I explained, they replied..... "do you think we should ask for these from every teacher?"

It's a step in the right direction I guess, but no doubt they'll require it "officially translated" to Thai etc etc.

13. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

You can apply directly to ACRO yourself, unlike the old CRB system which required you to apply via an approved body, who would check your documents and usually paying the costs, with the resulting certificate being sent to yourself and the employer. The resulting ACRO check is sent directly to you. It costs £45 for the standard service and £80 for the express service. I believe that they have an overseas postal service too.

This ACRO police check is now definitely 100% required by the Thai embassy in London and the regional consulates, if you are applying for a Non immigrant B visa in the UK. This was ordered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and it would seem that the Ministry of Education is falling in line with this standard.

There are several different levels of checks that are available, this one seems to be the most appropriate,

https://www.acro.police.uk/icpc/

Last edited: 7 Jul 2015
  14. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

I don't want to say too much on the open forum but a 'Thai' solution, or cost-free workaround, may have been found to the problem. I stress that this is 2nd hand information, regarding 2 teachers who recently renewed their extensions, so should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'll update trusted BMs by PM if I can confirm, as posting the info here could also lead to potential paedophiles being able to bypass the system.

15. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Would suggest telling nobody not even your trusted best friends. Quite often the kiddy fiddlers are the ones you least expect and trust most.

Good to hear action is being taken!