1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sine Education review

Discussion in 'Schools you want to talk about' started by Farang_Ba, 7 Apr 2014.

1. Farang_Ba

Farang_Ba Thread Starter Active Member

Hi all,

I used to work for Sine Education Company (an agency) for three semesters and wanted to share my review. They are based in BKK and have schools in Isaan as well as BKK. Ok, here's the review!

The Good: They paid on time, they did the WP paperwork (although it took ample time), lesson plans provided, and they paid a 33k baht starting salary (good for Isaan, crap for BKK).

The Bad: As a new teacher expect to work in a hick, low ranked school in Isaan, unless you luck out. Obviously teachers with experience there will get a better school choice than you. Next, the company did nothing to show homogeneity amongst it's teachers and after they dumped you in your school it was you on your own until they did their lame ass evaluations twice a semester. They also use Thai teachers' evaluations to gauge if they want you to stay (regardless of whether the numpty teachers ever even observed you extensively). They are a spineless, schill of a company who would sell you down the river, as long as they keep the contract. In addition, at company sponsored school camp trips, they tried to shyster their way out of paying for things any self-respecting agency would pay for. Next, HR was a bloody joke. I informed the HR putz that there were bullying issues from other teachers at my old school and they informed me I should "ignore them"; As if they were an evil spirit or something. But, the wanker teachers got theirs; Sine lost the school contract and now the teachers are on their own, 555.

The Ugly: There used to be an uncouth boorish Manky who was the Academic Director and would use profanity in job settings and would tell lewd sexual stories about him and his slappers (However, he would make for a good character on one of those for-shock-value tv shows lol).

Overall, I give them a 6.5/10 since they did honor the contract and paid on time, but it was a lot of unnecessary drama and they expected you to be miracle workers to students who didn't know more than a few sentences of English.

Mackie, Corsair, Clown and 1 other person like this.
  2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Do they have an office in SSP Tower on Ekamai on the same floor as BITS and BFITS?

3. testtaker

testtaker Member

The place has improved now - they lost their whining teacher. May even apply for a job there.

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

:funfight: play nice ladies

5. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

I worked with a chap who worked for them 2 years ago. He had to commute from Sai Mai to the arse end of Rangsit. He was quickly appointed to the head of English (40k) during which all the teachers told him to 'go fuck himself'.

He was my next door neighbour & I gave him the heads up on a job at my school. During his interview, he stated 'I know nothing about computers & don't want to have anything to do with them'. They started him on 45k while I was still on 38k after 2 years - got the smeg out of there for a 50k job this year & a 70k next.

6. from_the_inside

from_the_inside New Member

Hello,

I have been teaching with SINE for one year and have been teaching in Thailand for three years and felt compelled to reply to your post.

I agree with your The Good section, so it's nice to see you are not entirely misguided in your argument.

As far as the rest of your review goes I have very little time for it. Your assertion that you will be sent to a low-grade school is clearly not true since SINE are very particular in their selection process and only schools that they believe will be able to benefit from their system will be chosen.

What you say regarding being left on your own in the school after being "dumped" there is entirely untrue. You will be taken to your new school and helped in finding accommodation in the town of your school, then you will be given a proper introduction to the school by a member of SINE. Also in every SINE school there is an assistant who is employed by the agency to help you through the day to day challenges of school, and so I find it entirely laughable that you say when you were on your own.

SINE are a company with integrity, and so the fact that they are asking Thai teachers for their evaluations of you is entirely understandable. While you may not think that the Thai teachers were watching you, believe me they were and quite frankly it sounds like you did not make the necessary efforts with the Thai teachers for them to think anything other than you were not up to scratch. The tone of this rant confirms this to me. Thailand is a country where you must give respect to gain respect, that's the way it works. You are a guest in their country, so have no right to judge.

Also as far as the English Camp trips comment, you are completely wrong. I have heard previously about an English Camp where the hotel provided for the teachers (picked by the school) was not of a good standard and so a SINE member arranged a new hotel and paid for it from their own pocket.

Finally I would like to say that I believe that websites such as this one should be used in a balanced and reasonable way to give the readers a realistic impression of what to expect in Thailand. To say the least hatchet jobs like yours which are neither useful nor a true indication of what teaching in Thailand is like.

testtaker likes this.
  7. testtaker

testtaker Member

8. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

from_the_inside, Farang_ba posted about his experiences working for SINE for three semesters. You have been teaching with SINE for one year and I suppose you are reflecting your own experiences. Unless you both worked at the same school (the SINE website lists 17 partner schols), you cannot honestly dismiss Farang_ba's views as misguided. How can you say his comment about the English camp he attended is "completely wrong"? Were you there? Did you organise it? What you "heard" about what happened at another English camp has nothing to do with what happened at the one Farang_ba attended. I find it incredible that a teacher with only one year teaching at SINE would respond to FB's post in such a way.

How do you know that? Were you there? Did you work in the same school? The "Academic Director", perhaps?

I think "from_the_inside" needs to 'come out'.

Mackie likes this.
  9. from_the_inside

from_the_inside New Member

Rastus,

First of all if SINE were that bad, then why did he stay with them for three semesters?

Also every Thai teacher regardless of school will be watching you. If you don't know this then you need to clue up.

I may not have been there for the English Camp but I know of the conduct of SINE and it is not akin to what has been described in the aforementioned post.

As for you saying I have "only one year's experience" with SINE; I have enjoyed my teaching time with them and have seen nothing other than professionalism in my time with them. If I see something that is degrading and wrong about an agency who have done nothing other than been good to me I will stand up for it.

The tone of the original post despite giving a 6.5/10 was far from complimentary and I just want people to know who will come to teach in Thailand, that given the opportunity SINE is well worth going with.

testtaker likes this.
  10. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Well, enough pussy-footing!

I wanted to play first and be serious second this term break, but my monthly salary deposit isn't cooperating. So, I'll return to Ekamai and like a mushroom blowing spores will leave my dox with BITS, BFITS, & SINE.

I just hope to catch somebody who can look at the original diploma and CELTA and passport and transcripts and criminal record check and make a note that everything is authentic.

It's just evening and Sundays I'm interested in, preferably starting in June but certainly after the term break. Knowing my shitty luck, one of the three just might have something for me. Damn the bad luck!

11. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

Farang_ba is the best person to ask, not me.

Every Thai teacher? :hilarious: Nonsense. Most Thai teachers have better things to do that to keep waching the foreign teachers. Some Thai teachers will keep an interest in what the foreign teachers do but not EVERY teacher. More importantly, how closely did those watching observe FB's teaching? That's the important point.

So you weren't there. That's what I thought. So you saying FB is "completely wrong" is :hilarious: laughable.

As I said before, you are reflecting your own experiences. FB is reflecting his. You do not speak for SINE and neither does FB. You both speak of your own limited experiences.

In my opinion, you would have done SINE a better service if you had written a more balanced post rather than your "hatchet job" on FB's "hatchet job".

12. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

i never heard the words "integrity" and "education" being used together in a positive sense in the same sentence in respect of the edumacation system here. i've not heard much good said about agencies . i think we're going to hear more bad things about them in the years ahead because they are set to play a bigger role in providing teachers. so i wasn't really troubled by the original review.doesn't read like the rantings of a crazy faraing - at worst a little bit irreverent. i am however sceptical about the motives of those who rush to defend an agency which has been described in the terms FB used...as I say hardly a hatchet job, quite credible and stating the positives clearly from the onset.

13. NODIIT

NODIIT Well-Known Member

Can you tell me what to expect from teaching agencies in Thailand?

I'm new in the job and I want to know the truth from the inside :smile2:...

14. Corsair

Corsair Well-Known Member

Let FB have his say! If the place was so full of creamy goodness why did you two wait until now to create new usernames and defend the corporation? Why didn't you write up your own review? You both seem like such fanbois.;

Oh, welcome to the noobs :thumbsup2:

15. daiwill

daiwill Member

Hi Nodit, I am now working for a language company, and in some respects it is better than working direct for the schools, but in other respects it is not.

Firstly, the company i work for, can be in a better postion to offer extra work such as corporate work in the evenings, some may offer in house work at weekends.

Secondly, once we are placed in a school ( my company may be an exception in placing teachers in schools due to the fact that the company owner is a personal friend of the head of the tessaban where the school is located) we are pretty nmuch left to our own devices in developing the Mini EP here.

The monthly salary is better than the usual 30 k ,but it is for only 10 months, for the work we do in the school. Who gets the other 2 months worth , i do not know , ( that is a subject of another post anyway).

There have however been some issues recently.

1. due to the continued lateness of filipino staff generally , we are now deducted 200 baht for every 10 minutes we are late after the first 10 minutes . Some filipinos have been deducted as much as 2000 bht.
    2. we are have been fighting tooth and nail to get some sort of payslip or breakdown of hours we are being paid for, as a result of the above deductions. It turns out that i was actually owed 1400 bht, for something deducted wrongly, when i queried something , It was rectified thankfully.
    3. we also now have 2000 bht deducted from our salary as a retainer due to people leaving without giving notice , this is to be returned at the end of each contract or if you give 1 month notice.
    4 we have not as yet recieved our new copies of our new contracts.
    5. we only have 5 month contracts for our work in the school , luckily our corporate work sort of cushions these 2 months when we receive no salary.

I know there are more negatives here than positives , but i like working for them and they will listen to grievances, if and when we have them. I would like to think they will act upon them and this will be a good company to work for in the future, at the moment it is average. One of the company owner's worries is that she is losing staff , most of the reasons being that they were being messed around , so we had a meeting with her and pointed out to her why, my main worry about this was she sort of blamed and passed the buck to her thai and farang staff at the head office in bangkok.

At the end of the day , there are really dodgy agencies out there and really good ones, obviously the experiences can be good and bad, and as such should be posted here, as BF has done and some Idiot From The Inside, who for all we know could be a representative of SINE as he obviously, fails to recognise in BF giving his opinion as From The Inside and obviously a supporting cohort, ( who i cannot be bothered to scroll back and look up the name of) has also felt the need to do.
    If Les Majeste laws applied to this site and schools and agencies we work in , then BF would be on his way home or locked up in the BKK Hilton, if FTI had his way. Frig**ng Dic****d.
    After all this site is a democratically run site and we all have our own views, opinions and experiences to share.