1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social security benefits between jobs

Discussion in 'Tax issues' started by steveolevi, 18 May 2014.

1. steveolevi

steveolevi Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Two years ago I was told at the Chiang Mai Social Security office (Prakan San khom) sp. that Soc sec. would remain in effect for 6 months when out of work for any reason. This year I am taking a break from term I. I have an official letter from my school saying that I will return. The local office now tells me that I must cancel and then re-register when I return to work again in term II in order to keep benefits.

Two employees have told me the same story. "New law", they say. I don't trust it.

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Good question. I don't have an answer to it. I do know that luibkk has some extended knowledge about SSO. Guess he will soon chime in. :happy1:

3. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

Reasonably sure that if you keep up contributions, it carries on regardless.

4. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

I think they're right. Your employer has to register you and pay for you incl. your share. Once you're not employed anymore, your school won't pay for you and your membership ends. You're still entitled to the benefits like health insurance, etc. in Thailand for another six months after end of your employment. When you return in six months, your school will register you again. No loss of time and contributions;they will still show up in your account. You may consider cancelling your membership and you'll get most of your contributions back but when you start working and being registered again your former contributions will not count for old age benefits for which you need 15 years of contributions. Ask your local office again about these two options. I'm not entirely sure that I am correct.

Stamp likes this.
  5. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

To add on, if you're unemployed for an extended period of time, you need to inform the SSO office, and still contribute the minimum amount every month (you need to check with them as to the amount). In this case, you'll still be eligible for the old age benefits after 15 years.

Stamp likes this.
  6. steveolevi

I hadn't thought about the cummualtive time in the system toward benefits after teaching. I'll ask them. Thanks Lui

7. steveolevi

What are the old age benefits, specifically?

8. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
    steveolevi likes this.
  9. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you have to be at least 55 years old to receive the lump sum in cash. Then you'll still have six month insurance, but you can start over again.

I'd just continue paying in 438 baht/month.