1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Studying Part-Time for a Degree in Edu in Bangkok

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by Tonyja, 11 Jun 2016.

1. Tonyja

Tonyja Thread Starter Well-Known Member

In a bid to get myself all legal and above board I've been looking at my degree options around the world and locally. I'm not necessarily going for the easiest route, just the cheapest and fastest (in that order)
    I was considering Australia and its many education degree courses available until this year the government stepped in... they have a new pricing policy..$40,000 set rate for inter students for a full degree. Gulp.
    So looking at the Uk there's the Open university which has many options. But at 2700 for a 60 unit module its too expensive. And too long.
    Locally I've discovered that part of the tangled web that is IFUGAO, Bellarmine GE or whatever do an online/monthly attendance degree in Bangkok. It's a Bsc in Education consisting of 9 terms over 3 years (ok?) at 29,000 odd a term. Payable in installments. There's plenty of Education modules to make up the 200 units needed for the degree. And as Grace says, you can apply for your 5 year license on completion.
    Locally then. 5000 baht deposit and enrollment form in the post. 1st term August 1st. (Hopefully, unless they're gonna run off laughing with my money)
    And they can me an education visa

Last edited: 11 Jun 2016
    tassiecatred, Stamp and portnoy58 like this.
  2. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Good on you,Tony. And good luck. One of my colleagues got her letter of completion yesterday. She's just completed what you're about to embark on. It's a huge commitment in terms of time but it can be done. She'll now being applying for her license ....

3. Tonyja

Time is something i have. I'm lucky i only really work afternoons and weekends and 2 days off in the week. I have at least 4 hours a day set aside for hard study. I'm really into it.

4. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I think being into it and up for it is really important - I have no doubt with that attitude you'll do well. Once more good luck

Tonyja likes this.
  5. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Great decision, tiredtony. :thumbs up

In 2008, many foreign teachers predicted the TCT requirements would fly over. It didn't happen until now and most probably won't happen either. So, again, a great decision.

I truly hope things work out well for you. :cheers

Tonyja likes this.
  6. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

So about 260k or a tad over 5000 quid .... a lot cheaper than the OU way. And yes, get it in education as the end goal is the full TL. Go for it Tony and I hope there is flexibility to do it over longer than 3 years .... just sayin as you may find at some points its hard to keep up a pace of 3 each year .... take 4 years why not.
    Good luck Tony.

7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Best of luck !!!

8. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Good for you!

You might want to have a look at the University of London international programmes about £6000 for a BA in English from Goldsmiths. They have a variety of other courses available and have been offering distance learning for about 150 years.

Course search results | University of London International Programmes

I have studied with IFUGAO and it hasn't been too bad but its quite disorganised. I would imagine that the university of London courses will be much harder work but they might have a bit more credibility long term than IFUGAO, who seem to have....ahem an 'arrangement' with Khrusapa and Ministry of Education.

9. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Three years back I enrolled for a Master's in English at Rajabhat Ubon, quite cheap and doable in only 2.5 years on weekends.

Luckily, I found out that such a degree, even a Master's in English isn't recognized by the TCT.

About your opinion regarding the If, I can't agree more. But it opens you the way to the license for a reasonable amount of money.

I must have their e-mail somewhere and post it if I find it. They want to see e d u c a t i o n on it.

Here's the e-mail ( couldn't find the other one) I've received from TCT:

proteacher@ksp.or.th

"I do not know that M.English if a degree in Education. If not you are not qualify for the 5-year teaching license."

Great English coming from an employee of the TCT for foreign teachers. :smile

Last edited: 11 Jun 2016
    Hey_ewe likes this.
  10. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

If you are looking at a Masters, then a Masters in English is NOT an education or teaching qualification. It won't lead to licensure but will open the door to some of the better tertiary positions (when compared to a BA+TEFL).

You'd need to do a MA TEFL / MATESOL / MA TEIL, MAT-English or an M.Ed course to meet ther requirements for post grad licensure (24 or more credit hours in EDU).

side note: I was in Brunei last month and now, for locally hired teachers, the requirement for licensure is a MAT (Master of Arts-Teaching) or M.Ed.
    Off-shore hired teachers are required to have a B.Ed or PCGE.

OP:
    Any legitimate B.Ed (or full education degree) from any ASEAN country will suffice under AEC rules for mutual recognition academic qualifications regardless of how cozy or not they are with the TCT.

To others looking at post grad qualifications... the TCT requirement is 24 credit hours.... in the Philippines most are only 18 credit hours and would not qualify without an additional 6 credit hours of practicum.

sirchai likes this.
  11. Tonyja

I'm doing a Bsc in Education. 200 credits. more than half are edu.

sirchai likes this.
  12. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Active Member

I have never seen anything about easier ways to get a BA degree in edu by utilizing (piggy backing off of) the BA degree (non edu) that you already have. For example going on to have a double major. Any comments would be appreciated.