1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TCT refuses teacher licences

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by Gor Blimey Guvnur!, 2 Nov 2016.

1. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

Don't panic ! The story is about Masters programs from some Thai Universities that have shown 'irregularities' (nice choice of word).

"The Teachers' Council of Thailand (TCT) yesterday said it will refuse to issue licences to masters graduates from four private universities on the 2014 educational administrator programme after a probe found irregularities."

Full story:Teacher council refuses licences | Bangkok Post: news

DavidUSA and Stamp like this.
  2. tally

tally Active Member

So the (in)famous Thongsook College hits the headlines (for the wrong reasons) again....

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I don't think it's about Thongsook.

Somewhere on TTA is a first article on this. The TCT allowed a couple of hundred graduates but the universities delivered more than 1,000 if I recall well.

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

5. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Couldn't some of us just open up a course that's "accredited" by the TCT and offer Diplomas in education for all the folks who wanna work here?

Stretch some made up bs questions we just take from the net and feed them to the applicants, various web pages are free to set up these days. One of you'll be the webmaster, OP you seem to have the balls to do so.

I'll use my own humble bank account and do the financial part by not paying taxes, anyway, I'd rather like to drive a new Benz than an old Mitsu. How does Supreme Commander as a job title sound?

Let's see, we need one with a PhD maybe a Doctorate, then the right connection to the Army, aeeh government and we'll make a ton of money. I'll stay on a Non- O based on my marriage and don't have to listen to all the noise every day.

Who's got the connections? Isn't that "how it happened" before? I mean how they got their accreditation that might not even be of use for those who signed up in January this year and have to wait until May next year. Yep, that's 10- 12 months as promised. Freakin' math.

Almost forgot, we need some good looking secretaries. Photos of applicants here in swimsuits are welcome ( we need to know who we're dealing with, right?)

But I swear that I'll wipe my thingy with it if things continue as they do.

6. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

Yes, but I see the old story is about one university only.

Funny (or not funny eh) that they are willing to 'overlook' the government universities but it seems not the 4 private ones ... as we all know that 'irregularities' don't happen big big in da gov.

Yep it is ...one of the 4 main offenders in the article. :laughing5

7. tally

tally Active Member

Well, the article reads as follows:
    The investigation set up by the TCT previously found 12 public and private universities nationwide to have admitted more students to the programme in 2014 than was allowed.
    The 12 universities are Bangkokthonburi University (BTU), North Chiang Mai University, Thongsook College, Siam Technological College, Kasetsart University, Silpakorn University, Burapha University, Buriram...
    UNQUOTE

Ok, it's not ONLY about Thongsook but they are one of the 12 institutes involved.

8. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

2 of which are involved in the "BA TESOL" degree program.

9. DavidUSA

DavidUSA την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

This stuff happens a lot.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2016
  10. DavidUSA

DavidUSA την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

The TCT appears to be doing its job, and that is good news for Thailand and for us.

It is very tempting for certain administrators to make some quick cash by handing out master's degrees and bachelor's degrees. They can make a pile of money very quickly, but this has a way of following them, like dog poop on a shoe. Those people who paid all that money for a fake degree which has now been found out: do you think they are sabaii sabaii? Mai. Mai sabaii mar, khrap.

The trick comes when the council of the university discovers branches of the school they never heard of before. But in this case, the TCT put the brakes on, and they deserve some credit.

I have seen this very thing up close and personal in Thailand, and it makes a mockery of what is dignified about education and teaching itself: the desire to help other people better themselves.