1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teaching waiver how early

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by Davebodo, 8 Jun 2016.

1. Davebodo

Davebodo Thread Starter New Member

Hi everyone,
    I just got a new job at international school which starts in August.

I am in thailand and resigned my old job in May. My contract with the new school starts on 23 July, 2016.

In order to renew my visa extension ( 60 days extension of stay for visiting thai wife expiring in August 1, 2016 ) I need to get my teaching license and work permit done by July last week. I don't have the finances for Non O visa.

Now my question is

1. Can I apply for my teaching license now (about a month before my contract with the new school starts ) ? How early can I apply?

2. Does anyone have any experience ? What about work permit?

2. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

5-year yellow card license or 2-year provisional permit for the school to hire an unlicensed teacher AKA: Waiver?

The process for the license is clear enough and can be done as soon as you are under contract provided you meet ALL of the requirements (the culture course is still in the list).

The process for the Waiver is also clear but the documentation is different. Again, this can be begun as soon as you are under contract.

The work permit application will require either the waiver or the yellow card to be completed.

The school will need to provide paperwork (registration, ownership, contracts, etc) as part of the application process.

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Slight Changes in the requirements for the TCT Provisional Teaching Permit (Sep 2013) | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

Working in either a government school or a private school, a 'certificate from the Teachers' Council of Thailand' is required.

Initial Work Permit Application (WP.1 update 2012) for Foreign Teachers in Thailand | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

4. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

I'll keep this simple. These should be handled by the school.

Waivers, WP, Visa are all pretty much handled by the school. Take a deep breath, and enjoy what looks to be a pay raise. Even if you have to cough up the money for it, the leg work should be handled by the school. You may be required to go with someone to each place along each step of the way, but you should not have to sort it yourself.

So long as a school has hired you, they should be willing to do what it takes to keep you legal. In all likelihood they have more experience than you do at getting this done (despite the fact that there are - at some schools - some very un or under qualified support staff.

Should you get a teachers license, you will have to have a letter from the school saying you've a year's experience. Also you'll have to have an observed class. Suffice it to say, regardless of education requirements a teachers license won't be happening any time soon (unless you are leaving a school where you worked for a year or more and have had a classroom observation that the requisite players have signed off on).

Best of luck

5. Davebodo

Davebodo Thread Starter New Member

Hi everyone thanks for the replies. I will ask my school to contact Khurusapha for my waiver.