1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tefl/toeic/toefl/ielts

Discussion in 'Welcome Newbies' started by Peter23, 14 Oct 2014.

1. Peter23

Peter23 Thread Starter New Member

Hi, can anybody confirm for sure ? Non-native English speakers that just hold TEFL/TOEIC/TOEFL/IELTS etc. can get a provisional teacher´s permit certificate, valid for 2 years only. Right ? Do they have to leave Thailand after 2 years ? How about vocational schools (not under TCT, in contrast to government schools) ? Can non-native speakers teach there for more than 2 years ?

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

3. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

See the link in the post above for specifics for your ability to work as a teacher.

You also need to differentiate between the different acronyms and initialisms.
    TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS are English proficiency tests. One of these is REQUIRED for non native speakers to get a visa and work permit as a teacher.

You also REQUIRE a Bachelors Degree from an accredited university.

TEFL, TESL, TESOL, CELTA are basic teacher training courses - typically 30 days or 120 classroom hours.
    These are NOT legal requirements to teach English in Thailand. They may be an employer requirement (but not usually).
    They are good to have if you have no training or experience as a teacher.

Leaving after 2 or 4 years will depend on a number of factors including but not limited to on-going professional development as a professional teacher.

If you are just looking for work as a transient or gap-year teacher those limits won't really matter.
    If you are looking at long term prospects (more than 4 years) then a post grad teaching credential (B.Ed, Dip.Ed, Dip.T, CPT, M.Ed, etc) will come into play (even at vocational schools).
    Teaching at the tertiary level (long term) will certainly require a post grad degree (MA, M.Ed, M.Sc, PhD, etc) in a related field.

4. NODIIT

NODIIT Well-Known Member

I understand that the OP is looking for an English teacher gig however:

A small detail that have some importance for a few teachers around ;)

5. Peter23

Hi and thank you very much for your reply. Ok, I see, I will not be able to study again (Age 49, time, money), but a TOEIC-test I could pass. How about working at private schools, such as catholic schools or others ? Do they require BA/MA etc. ? A good day ...

See the link in the post above for specifics for your ability to work as a teacher.

You also need to differentiate between the different acronyms and initialisms.
    TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS are English proficiency tests. One of these is REQUIRED for non native speakers to get a visa and work permit as a teacher.

You also REQUIRE a Bachelors Degree from an accredited university.

TEFL, TESL, TESOL, CELTA are basic teacher training courses - typically 30 days or 120 classroom hours.
    These are NOT legal requirements to teach English in Thailand. They may be an employer requirement (but not usually).
    They are good to have if you have no training or experience as a teacher.

Leaving after 2 or 4 years will depend on a number of factors including but not limited to on-going professional development as a professional teacher.

If you are just looking for work as a transient or gap-year teacher those limits won't really matter.
    If you are looking at long term prospects (more than 4 years) then a post grad teaching credential (B.Ed, Dip.Ed, Dip.T, CPT, M.Ed, etc) will come into play (even at vocational schools).
    Teaching at the tertiary level (long term) will certainly require a post grad degree (MA, M.Ed, M.Sc, PhD, etc) in a related field.

.[/QUOTE]

6. Stamp

Teachers in private schools, government schools and international schools providing basic education have to comply with the TCT requirements.

7. ttompatz

If you want to be a teacher (legally) then you MUST HAVE:
    1. A Bachelor Degree - major area of study doesn't matter. (BA, B.Ed, B.Sc, BFA, etc)
    2. TOEIC (score more than 600)
    3. passport with more than 1 year of validity remaining (valid for longer than the visa).
    If you are missing any one of 1,2 or 3 then legal work as a teacher won't happen.

If you want long term stability then a degree AND post grad teacher qualification OR a B.Ed is needed to stay for more then 4-6 years.

IF you cannot qualify for work as a teacher (seems from a previous thread that you only have a TEFL cert and perhaps a secondary level education so would not qualify)
    AND if you still want to come here and teach there will be opportunities to work \
    BUT they won't be legal and are not likely to come with visa support or a work permit.
    Welcome to the world of undocumented "tourist teachers".

or any school covered under the Private School Act (which includes language centers/schools if they have more than 7 students).

It still makes me wonder why people who don't value education enough to have one (no time, too old, too long, too expensive, too (insert excuse here) ) always seem to think they are qualified to give one?
    Yes, it is pompous of me but why do these kids deserve less (other than for being born in Thailand) than kids at home where a degree plus other qualifications are the bare minimum for people who want to be a teacher.

8. Peter23

Thank you again. Yes, you are right, I just have a TEFL (3-months-teacher-training at a private language school in Phuket; South African "owner" ,assuring that such teachers are in the position to teach everywhere, at least elementary level. But obviously he did not tell the truth.... Yes and I just have a secondary level education, Baccalaureate, advanced course in Oxford English, clear pronunciation. I thought teaching in Asia (where a lot of teaching opportunities) could be easier than in Europe, means, less requirements: principals take what they can get .... But working illegally is not what I want, so, I think I have to give up my plans, although I love it to teach. Obviously there is no way for me to work legally in Thailand.... It´s a pitty. What could I do instead ? Maybe teaching in neighbouring countries like Cambodia or Laos ? Any recommendations are very much appreciated ... Thank you again for your excellent information. It took me about 2 months to see things more clearly.

If you want to be a teacher (legally) then you MUST HAVE:
    1. A Bachelor Degree - major area of study doesn't matter. (BA, B.Ed, B.Sc, BFA, etc)
    2. TOEIC (score more than 600)
    3. passport with more than 1 year of validity remaining (valid for longer than the visa).
    If you are missing any one of 1,2 or 3 then legal work as a teacher won't happen.

If you want long term stability then a degree AND post grad teacher qualification OR a B.Ed is needed to stay for more then 4-6 years.

IF you cannot qualify for work as a teacher (seems from a previous thread that you only have a TEFL cert and perhaps a secondary level education so would not qualify)
    AND if you still want to come here and teach there will be opportunities to work \
    BUT they won't be legal and are not likely to come with visa support or a work permit.
    Welcome to the world of undocumented "tourist teachers".

or any school covered under the Private School Act (which includes language centers/schools if they have more than 7 students).

It still makes me wonder why people who don't value education enough to have one (no time, too old, too long, too expensive, too (insert excuse here) ) always seem to think they are qualified to give one?
    Yes, it is pompous of me but why do these kids deserve less (other than for being born in Thailand) than kids at home where a degree plus other qualifications are the bare minimum for people who want to be a teacher.

.[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

Excuse me please, I have only one more question: as you told me that there are 50 non-native teachers (no degree but TOEIC-score) at your school that got a work permit and a non-Immigrant-B-visa... Is it limited for 4 years (provisional licence) or can they work in the longterm without a degree ? Thank you very much for your help

9. crew

crew Faber College Member

Can anyone confirm that the TCT still requires the IELTS, TOEIC and/or TOEFL scores for those outside of the UK, US, CAN, AUS, NZ and IRE?

IELTS: 5.5 or 6.5?
    TOEIC: 601 and up?
    TOEFL: ???

I know there was a rumor from last Jan that the TCT took that away but I can't find any official or anecdotal evidence to suggest that's actually true.

10. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

All I can offer is that a South African colleague was required to submit a TOEIC score in late November/early December 2014 to apply for a further waiver. However, the colleague in question was refused as the degree held 'appeared' to come from a mickey mouse Uni according to their database results at TCT :cool:

11. crew

Looks to me as the following:

IELTS: 5.5
    TOEIC: 600
    TOEFL: 550

Chai mai? N'est pas? jelly doughnut?

12. ttompatz

I can confirm that the TOEIC (IELTS or TOEFL) are still a requirement for people no having a "correct passport".

The scores listed are correct.

The TOEFL score depends on which test you took (paper (PBT), Internet (IBT) or computer (CBT))).
    550 TOEFL is for the PBT.
    79 for the IBT and
    213 for the CBT

This is old but to answer the question... they all have a degree, most have education degrees or post grad qualifications and most are already licensed as teachers in their home country so the visa, provisional permits and waivers are not an issue for them. They do the culture course and get their Thai License.

13. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

^He is confusing you with another poster...

14. crew

thank you. i was wondering about this as well.

15. Stamp

Equivalency Table - CEFR, TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS