1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thai Drivers - tell us your positive experiences

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by SageAdvice, 7 Jan 2017.

1. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Thread Starter Well-Known Member

We need a thread to counterbalance all the negativity associated with Thai drivers; you know: the hiso folks who distractedly or drunkenly plow into others, the meth-hyped van drivers who flip their vehicles, the tour bus drivers who offer passengers plunging views of steep ravine slopes, or the truck drivers who park unlit vehicles on the sides of roads at night for unsuspecting others to plow into, those drivers. Tell us what positive experiences you may have noted on Thai highways and byways...and please: be brief.

DavidUSA likes this.
  2. gungchang

gungchang Over the hill for at least the 6th time!

Drivers in Bangkok slow down for pedestrians.

DavidUSA likes this.
  3. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

a few taxi drivers have neat things lined on the ceiling (like money) or even an array of collectibles covering the the majority of the front windshield.

er, wait.

DavidUSA likes this.
  4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

A few not so good reviews before we get to the real good ones.

On my way to my restaurant in my lunch break.......

Two older women stand in front of the hospital, which is next to our school, and try to cross the road. The one woman is holding the other woman who's obviously got problems to walk.

Of course, did I stop to let the old girls cross the road and they start walking........but behind me was one of these good drivers who does not seem to understand why someone would stop and he hits his horn to let me know how upset he was.

Considering that the two ladies didn't see him and the idiot couldn't see them, the two older girls almost got killed by the brainless, aeeh brain-dead driver.

Then the speeding Kathoey who did a red light at 6 in the morning and almost killed me hitting my truck sideways when I was on my way to work. drunk and on drugs was enough to let him pay 500 baht for speeding.

Or the airborne motorcycle that almost killed my wife and me when it started flying toward my windshield because the driver didn't see a whole tractor with a trailer, finally drove on the trailer, the guy, and the bike flew through the air, brainy landed on his feet, but the test ride bike wanted to go for my wife and me.

Oh, here are the positive experiences.

1.The van that was so close to my rear bumper when I was doing 120 km/h also hit the brakes when I tested his reaction.

2. Another Thai driver drives on my side on the 226, coming from the opposite direction and leaves me no space to disappear because some bikes were on the left lane. The friendly bloke then greeted me and said many hellos with his high beamers.

Thainess is great, isn't it?

3. My neighbor always parks in front of my gate that no other car can park there. That's what friends are for, right?

4. My Thai wife finally understood that we have a five gear box in our truck.

5. One of the always drunk bicycle Rikscha drivers from Sisaket finally figured out that it's better to have some shots of Lao Khao before duty, than driving sober.

Sisaket.jpg

5. SageAdvice

^*cough*...perhaps you misunderstood the title of this thread...:smiling

and...um...this:

Last edited: 8 Jan 2017
    marcusb likes this.
  6. gungchang

Strict adherence is going to make for a very short thread.

Okay, here's another:

The Chiang Mai DMV, along with Honda, had a training course for people, including at least one fat farang, complete with a track one had to negotiate on a motorcycle. So, Thai motorcyclists are better trained than some others.

7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Was a little too brief....my deepest apologies.

8. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

The good and the bad for me. Four years ago I was taken out by a female pickup driver running a red light. A Thai guy on a bike which was about ten metres in front of me, turned around and came back. He called the police and waited until they arrived, gave a statement in support of me. The positive was that neither he nor the offender did a runner.

professeur, marcusb and Stamp like this.
  9. gungchang

I'm glad you survived and recovered.

Thai driver.jpg

Not all Thai drivers are senile, and some take driving seriously.

10. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

Not really drivers... but when I did my Thai drivers licence I did the computer, the reflexes, eyes. Then we went out back to do the driving test. There were 3 guys in uniform, a water cooler, and a bottle of Hong Thong. They wanted me to do two shots of the brew and then the test. Great day.

11. SageAdvice

^Story in a similar vein: I went to the DMV to get a Thai license based on my US one. Part of the procedure (greatly facilitated by my spouse's attendance) was a short series of tests to determine my suitability for a Thai license: a sort of miniature golf arrangement of beeps, pedal pushing and eyeballing. One test I flubbed completely as I had no idea it had begun or where to focus my attention: 100% pass:smiling. Judging from the driving I see every day in bkk, I imagine the procedure is much less challenging for locals. So, that's sort of positive.

12. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

Having survived more than 170,000 km on motorcycles in Thailand (including 150000 in Phuket), without a ticket or an accident, I remain aware of the here and now of whats going on around me on the road…. What has happened, good or bad, is no longer relevant.

However, I do recall, with amusement, the only time my motorcycle was involved in an accident. I was using an ATM 5 metres away, when a lady driving a Mercedes Benz backed into it. She drove off without bothering to check damage or offer an apology.

13. professeur

professeur Well-Known Member

The Thais in general seem alien to the kind of road rage we get back home. Yes they might cut you off or double park you, but they're less likely to give you the finger or to beat you up for driving a bit slowly or for forgetting to use your turn signal. This at least I find agreeable.

Stamp and marcusb like this.
  14. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Last edited: 13 Jan 2017 at 00:08
    DavidUSA and marcusb like this.