1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thai universities keep failing the test

Discussion in 'Education from Thailand' started by Stamp, 17 Mar 2017.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Educators have called on the government to pay more attention to research as only 10 Thai universities made it on the Times Higher Education top 300 Asia University Rankings this year, and six out of the universities' rankings slipped from last year.

Mahidol University tops Thai universities at 97th place, followed by King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi which ranked between 101-110th place, and Chulalongkorn University at between 151-160th place, according to results released on Wednesday.

All the top 10 best universities in Asia, according to Times Higher Education this year, were among the top 10 last year with the National University of Singapore and Peking University remaining as the first and second best universities respectively.

The top 10 universities in Asia are in Singapore, mainland China, Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea.

Read the whole article here: Thai universities keep failing the test | Bangkok Post: news

2. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

- Let's be honest. While I am not a big fan of most Thai universities - the top 8 Thai universities in the Times list all have respectable ratings - nothing wrong with being ranked in the top 250 globally out of more than 10,000.

When looked at closer and using the QS rankings (since 1994) rather than the Times (since 2004), Chula is at 45 in Asia, Mahidol at 61, Thammasat at 101, CM at 104, KMUTT 161....
    All still pretty respectable out of 10,000 universities around the world.

Before you read too much into the "Rankings" you should look at what the criteria are for determining the ranks - especially when comparing research universities to those more focused on practical academics (undergraduate studies) rather than "research" and since the majority of "citations" come from work published in "English" there is already a pre-determined bias (only 1 of the top 25 are not Anglophone universities).
    The majority of the Times and other university ranking services rankings are based on work done in the graduate school (looking at publications) and virtually NOTHING comes from the undergraduate departments other than perhaps the number of "foreign enrollees" and perhaps the student/teacher ratio.

Nothing lies better than statistics without context.

bahn_farang likes this.
  3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Nice quote!

4. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Doubleplus good! Ooops.... wait a second...

Thailand's best university, Chulalongkorn, is ranked by QS at 252 in the world. The QS ratings for Asia are not the same as those for the rest of the planet. For Chulalongkorn, being ranked at 45 inside Asia is not that shabby. You have all those education zealots in China to compete with.

Ttompatz was being facetious. I think he was making fun of how the rankings are perceived inside Thailand. A little slight of hand to make everyone feel good.

QS Ratings for Inside Asia

Chulalongkorn University
    [​IMG]

Mahidol University
    [​IMG]

Thammasat University
    [​IMG]

Chiang Mai University
    [​IMG]

Kasetsart University
    [​IMG]

King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi
    [​IMG]

Khon Kaen University
    [​IMG]

Prince of Songkla University
    [​IMG]

251-300
    King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang
    [​IMG]

251-300
    Suranaree University of Technology
    [​IMG]

301-350
    King Mongkut's University of Technology North Bangkok
    [​IMG]

301-350
    Naresuan University
    [​IMG]

301-350
    Srinakharinwirot University
    [​IMG]

QS Ratings for the World

Chulalongkorn University

Mahidol University

551-600
    Chiang Mai University

601-650
    Thammasat University

701+
    Kasetsart University

701+
    Khon Kaen University

701+
    King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi

701+
    Prince of Songkla University

My alma mater, Indiana University, is 291 globally. It used to be a lot higher. For English, they are at 51-100. I also attended U of Maryland, College Park, and it is at 131 globally. Take these ratings with a huge heap of salt.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2017
  5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

6, 75, 129 for universities I have studied at.

The poor showing of Thai universities certainly refocuses the plans for finding a quality education for my daughters

6. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Put it in perspective. Anything ranked in the top 1000 globally on either list is still in the top 10% globally.

45th in Asia, 252/10,000 globally (QS rank) ... not too shabby. Top 3% globally.
    Even 151-160 (Times rank) is not too bad. Top 2% globally.

What is the difference between top 2% and top 3%? Perhaps 50 citations on some publication citation index? Let's all get in a panic over that.

90% of undergraduate students globally are not from a top 10% uni (regardless of their country of origin or country of choice for education).

2 of my 3 undergrads were from un-ranked universities even though they were brick and mortar in Canada. Does that make them or my formal education substandard?

The majority of "State" universities in the US are also un-ranked (lower than 1000)

Yup... Nothing lies better than statistics without context.

This however does NOT mean I support the crap quality of education in the vast majority of Thai universities. Crap is still crap.

7. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Houdini !

You could go into politics!

But I see your point. Overall, I think the rankings are bogus. It would be better to put the schools into groups like hotels. 5 star, 1 star, no star, capsule, one-night restless sleep, cigarette burns on the nightstand, POSH, boutique, etc.