1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thailand Taxable Year 2013. File Personal Income Tax before 1 April 2014!

Discussion in 'Tax issues' started by Stamp, 20 Feb 2014.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Here's a heads up regarding tax payment for foreign teachers in Thailand.

• Some schools withhold tax from the employee's salary, some don't
    • Paying Personal Income Tax at the Revenue Department is the sole responsibility of the employee
    • Employee has to file the tax clearance before the last day of March 2014
    • Immigration Offices might require a copy of the tax clearance receipt and a copy of the PND 91-form (Personal Income Tax form) when extending the permission of temporary stay
    • Labour Offices might require a copy of the tax clearance receipt and a copy of the PND 91-form when renewing the work permit

::Personal Income Tax::

Mr Pete and bahn_farang like this.
  2. deespyder

deespyder Member

I just received my PIT form sent by the revenue office through post last week. And it's a relief that the 10% tax rate was cut down to half. Gotta file my tax return 2 weeks from now. :happy1:

3. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

I did mine about 10 days ago. It took just 15 minutes using their e-filing system. I'll get 5,500 Baht back. Not bad! Just waiting for the check in the mail.

4. slamb

slamb Active Member

I've never paid tax (shhhhh!) since I entered the Kingdom. 2 years at the SAS freedom fighters tax free & my current school pays the taxes; BTW if you want 'up to date' info on my current school PM gordai. :smile2:

5. Stamp

Who's that?

6. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

He probably means ก็ได้ - you can PM slamb

7. Garden

Garden Much ado about nothing

I'd like to add this info.

For teachers, who have just arrived in Thailand: Why pay taxes at all?

Thailand has a tax treaty with the U.S.A., Germany and many other countries, which states that for the first 2 years on the job you don't have to pay any income tax at all.

These treaties are bi-literal agreements, e.g. a Thai working in the U.S.A. does not have to pay taxes for the first 2 years, too.

You can find these treaties at the Revenue Department website: ::English::

If you are eligible, print out the document and show it to your school's financial department, so they can stop withholding your tax payments.
    Or show it immediately at your first visit to your regional RD.

It goes without notice, that my school never told me about any of this. When I first started teaching, I should not have had to pay taxes for the first two years.

Can you get a refund of the tax money for the first two years?
    I've heard the amount of documents to fill out is not worth the money, so I never tried it.

Cheers,
    Heiko

8. Stamp

This thread is not about 'paying' tax but about 'filing' tax. :happy1:

AFAIK everybody who works and receives income MUST file Personal Income Tax PND.91. I haven't read about being exempt of filing PIT because of an income threshold or treaty.

9. slamb

slamb Active Member

Yes, 'gor dai' means 'can do', 'OK' etc. I thought you were having Thai lessons Stamp. :smile:

10. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

afaik, you are not obliged to pay income tax if you teach for less than two years in Thailand. It doesn't say you are tax free for the first two years.
    You can get a refund for two years back, i.e. now for 2012 and 2013, but if you are still teaching I think it's not applicable anymore since you've been teaching for more than two years.