1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thailand Teaching (it's pretty much what the title says)

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by bahn_farang, 18 Sep 2016.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Shoot me down, but wouldn't be nice to keep the site with a direction on teaching in the kingdom? Sure it's nice to read the occasion diversion, but I would like to think others reading this site would see it as professional and concentrated on... well..... teaching in Thailand

oh well it's NOT my place to decide

steveolevi likes this.
  2. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Well there you have it ----- where does teaching in Thailand start and end?! 1600h mate and not a second later! Like many things it's pretty difficult to draw up boundaries. Also as the focus is teaching, and therefore teachers, this immediately widens the focus. A fair few of us want to get out! So threads about possibilities in other countries, such as China, in my opinion, are welcome, more so given its comparative proximity. I think Stamp and the overwhelming majority of posters do a fairly good job in keeping the focus on teaching in Thailand - more than 90% of content must be Thailand and teaching related.

What's your concern?

Internationalteacher likes this.
  3. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

There is a section that says, "Education News from Other Countries," so if you have some info about that, then post it there.

If someone wants to know something specific about teaching in China, they can write me whenever they like.

I am not here forever, and I try to tone it down. I am going to come back to work in Thailand, so I stay in touch this way. I think it is beneficial to be
    aware of what is going on in education in other countries, especially China--no matter how unappealing their country might be.

Internationalteacher and marcusb like this.
  4. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

As it is the forum can go 3 days without a new post, I don't think any trimming is necessary. I wish there was more content as I have had insomnia lately. :)
    I like the fact that there doesn't seem to be any troll activity here. That gets really annoying on the other channel.
    Possibly "irrelevant" threads could be deleted after a week or two just to keep things neat and tidy. For example the German debit card, good question, good answers, but after its dead for a couple weeks it can go because no one would search here for that info.
    Bahn Farang can you give any examples?

5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Your OP BF is after the horse has bolted last night, bit like stepping in and helping yer mate in a bar brawl once the battle is over.

Yep, we should stay on topic "Teaching in Thailand" but as the site is set up, and rightly so in my opinion, we have a bunch of forums under "Thailand living" which basically have nothing to do with teaching per-se. Also most of the "Thailand lounge" has nothing to do with teaching either.

The "After hours" is a closed forum to posters with 100 or more posts: " A place for tipple time talk" as the decscription goes (the spark that ignited the fire) ...please reread description.

As for these outside of teaching topics I personally find many of them useful and would like to see them all remain.... TT is afterall a social forum too is it not?

For one example, I started a thread about weather radars, zero to do with teaching, but I think a few out there found it useful ....should we remove threads like this?

Love GBG

Last edited: 19 Sep 2016
  6. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Reading between the lines, I guess BF would like to claim this forum as a continuing education credit for his TCT license.

7. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

All seems fine to me. Things would be pretty boring if it was just Kru Sapa news all the time.
    As we all know, education is not a serious matter here unless there's a few baht to be made.
    How many times have you heard "Teacher, don't be so serious"

Internationalteacher and marcusb like this.
  8. Templeton

Templeton Member

put this on a thread already but since certain posters (MB) seem to think I'm a troll I'll post again here. Especially since the title makes since for the post. I just got a new job at a language school and they want me to teach some hotel staff twice a week for 6 hours straight Each session. They will provide the book/curriculum but man-O-man! 6 hours straight?? Seriously, anyone have experience teaching English all day?? Any advice/pointers??

9. bahn_farang

mb??
    ??

Start a new thread or post in more appropriate ones please. When you start your own post I would love to contribute my experience of teaching English since this is a forum about ......

you have done nothing to extinguish the accusations against you... yet

Last edited: 15 Oct 2016
  10. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

Hi there, let me introduce myself. I'm Wangsuda, a former and current staff member here. I am not directing this any any one person in particular, but I would like to address a couple of things:
    1. We cover teaching in Thailand. We also cover other things about living in Thailand. We also have areas of the forum where topics not related to teaching can be discussed.
    2. We cover educational news from other countries. Members are more than welcome to start threads in that section in order to learn more about a particular region.
    3. IF you're unsure about where a thread goes, you can do a couple of things: you can PM me or the other mods for advice, or post it in the Teacher's Lounge. If a member of the staff thinks it belongs somewhere else, we'll move it and notify you.
    4. With the closing of AF we have a few new members. Let's all practice some tolerance. If one poster has an issue with another poster, let's handle it by PM. I hate flame wars (just too darn old now).
    5. Finally, let's please keep it friendly. What some call "boring" I call "polite."
    Have a good evening people :drinking

Mister T, GanDoonToonPet and Stamp like this.
  11. bahn_farang

Thank you Wang.

The thread was a pre AF closure thread about the direction of Thailand Teaching. The thread, like many, has aged in the space of a few days. I have, on reading the responses, reconciled (come to accept/realize) that teaching in the kingdom is a broader picture than posts about the specifics within the classroom. Although I too have had fun within the the games room, it remains the elephant in the room that the forum is about more than the gamesroom. It would be nice to see more posts about teaching in the forum set up under the auspices of teaching in Thailand.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2016
    marcusb likes this.
  12. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Member

I have never been on any other sites except this one. It's great. I tend to sporadically drift in and out (weeks at a time) and regret if I go off course. All of the above is good to get out there. Thanks.
    I think it should be highlighted that many of us are on holiday so a break from strictly "teacher talk" is a breath of fresh air.
    It is noted that you should get yourself on the right thread. However, it should also be noted that, as in a normal conversation, there are side steps (side conversations).
    I'm just giving myself a pre-excuse for when I screw up.

Thanks to all and apologies to administrators who have to redirect my traffic.