1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiver Updates 2016

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by Stamp, 10 Mar 2016.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Two of my colleagues just got their second provisional teaching permit. No enrollment in any course. For their applications, their almost two years old TOEIC tests were used (expire next month). :chinrub

Our school is a 3,000 students big government school in the provincial capital.

Looks like The Teachers' Council of Thailand is currently very lenient with issuing provisional teaching permits. :thumbs up

sirchai and Wangsuda like this.
  2. natewill

natewill Active Member

I sure hope so. I'm about to get my third waiver. I've been doing a lot of the MOOC courses from Coursera et al, but have not yet matriculated into a PGCEi program or equivalent. I'm in the north, so I can't jump into the St John's or IFUGAO course just yet.

3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Is that any different from the old rules of 2+1?

4. Stamp

In the current rules is stated -

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying Stamp. So the rules are still the same but just not being followed.

6. Stamp

That's how I see it.

7. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Yes there doesn't seem to the mass panic that was this time last year, although it's still early...

I've seen a large increase in schools stating 'please state the number of teaching waivers' or 'teacher's licence an advantage' in their job adverts this year.

Stamp, you seem to live in a 'relaxed' province in terms of all bureaucracy... :smile

sirchai likes this.
  8. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I know a number of teachers who are moving on to Vietnam, Myanmar, Korea, Japan etc. They are all graduates and have been here 2-4 years, they had just started to find their stride and become effective teachers and now they are moving elsewhere, because the became tired of jumping through the ever moving hoops. If I wasn't married with a whole variety of commitments I think I would be following them.

daiwill likes this.
  9. Stamp

Prachuap Khiri Khan/ Hua Hin, our immigration office, was one of the first immigration offices in Thailand that adopted the regulations set by The Teachers' Council of Thailand.

The 'relaxation' in OP all lies in The Teachers' Council of Thailand.

10. GanDoonToonPet

Is that the same immigration office that allows teachers without degrees to be employed in K-12 schools? :smiling

11. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just a followup on my application for a 3rd waiver (remaining at same school as 2nd waiver):

No police cert was requested (even tho I had acquired a recent one just in case).

No evidence of further education towards a B.Ed, M.Ed, PGCE(i) etc was requested (I had a letter in both Thai and English indicating that I was currently enrolled in an M.Ed. As they did not request it I did not mention it or offer it to them, it may come in handy if a 4th waiver is needed in the future before graduating).

Aside from it taking hours to complete my application due to it being so busy, there were no issues.
    All good for another year hopefully :celebrate2

DG

SundayJam, po3try and Stamp like this.
  12. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, DG.

13. Stamp

Does anybody has any current information about applying for a third waiver because of starting at a new school and not having enrolled in any course meeting the requirements?

Thanks.

14. GanDoonToonPet

TCT had a change of head last year. Waivers are being given freely ATM but all evidence is good. Apply now as things change year to year...

Stamp likes this.
  15. daiwill

daiwill Member

It will be interesting to follow up on this story as it progresses.

Does anyone know if anyone has ever had a 4th waiver recently when changing schools?
    Has anyone applied for 4th waivers after renewing their passports?