1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiver Updates 2017

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by Gor Blimey Guvnur!, 16 Dec 2016.

1. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

Ok, nearly 2017 and a new latest thread for Khurusapha (TCT) waiver updates.

Please post here any new experiences as to your own personal recent waiver process whether successful or not. TYVM.

I recently ran the gauntlet once again and gained a 4th waiver for 2 years (23 months to be precise as your waiver is dated for 2 years from the date you submit your paperwork). In my case, the paperwork submitted was a bonafide degree and transcript copies, Thai culture course certificate done about 6 years ago and is from one of the current 6 accredited places by the TCT to do such a course, 1 certificate for 1 TCT test passed, and a reciept for payment for 3 failed TCT tests (TCT tests are now no longer offered as a route to qualified teacher status, the last test round was 2013 afaik). In sum, with this paperwork and no other professional development for the last 4 or so years the waiver was granted.

So I was a lucky boy one could say and indeed 6 applicants in a queue at the TCT before my boss acting on my behalf were refused another waiver. It certainly is not automatic as to who gets the next waiver and who does not. One thing in my favour though (arguably making the process easier) is that I have been in continual employment at the same school throughout these 4 waivers.

Yes, for many this waiver process can be worrisome. For me personally I accepted that if all failed including a secondary route with the LEA then fine and I would move on, but then I am in a position to do so financially.
    *There are also ways to circumvent TCT requirements via your Local Education Authority (LEA) but even that is becoming tougher with paperwork requirements, and you need the full support of your school in going down this route

For those who are worried about the waiver process and those that want to make sure they can stay in continual employment then the option of doing a post graduate course makes perfect sense. Several members here on Thailand Teaching have done just that. The best options are the PGCEi offered by Nottingham University and the Dip Ed offered by IFUGAO and lots of information can be found on these two courses in the following link (See the sticky threads at the top and much more in the regular threads too). The IFUAGO course is a lot cheaper than doing a PGCEi, but then it does also seem you get what you pay for according to member's posts concerning these 2 courses. The good thing about both is that you will get your full teacher's license as long as you have also completed a Thai culture course (See 2nd link below for where the Thai Culture Course (TCC) can be done also)

Qualifications & Courses | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

Teachers' Council of Thailand (TCT) accredits 6 institutions for the Thai Culture Course | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

As to the TCT itself, there are rumours that it may be disbanded next year (2017) as Education in Thailand is being shaken up by the present government and that the responsibility of 'Teacher licensing' will come under the MOE (or other dept.?). However, there will always be rules and there will certainly be conditions to be met as a foreign teacher in Thailand concerning licensing ....the goalposts may move but will always remain.

So good luck with those waivers, usually you can get 2 of them but then it all becomes a bit dicey on the 3rd, 4th, and even 5th as one TT member received earlier this year. If worried then get on the postgrad route.

:cheersGBG.

professeur, portnoy58 and Stamp like this.
  2. mike123_ca

mike123_ca Active Member

I'll be going for my 4th waiver this April 2017. I have my B.A. and Thai culture course (about 3 years ago from Khuruspaha) and I'm currently enrolled with IFUGAO Dip ED program. I'm also have been with the same high school for the previous 6 years. I'll post an update after I make my next application for a teaching waiver.

Mike

Stamp and Gor Blimey Guvnur! like this.
  3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations, GBG. :thumbs up

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  4. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Well, my situation has me a little perplexed but not unhappy. I finished the St Roberts IFUGAO Teaching Diploma not long ago and am going through the process of getting a work permit on a NON O. I havent as yet done the Thai Culture course. The other day the lady in my office told me "its all done" and no need to me to go to Karusapa with her, she has the waiver already!!! She told me she is going to the labor office today. This all seems remarkably smooth....perhaps a little too remarkable? I saw the waiver letter but I cant quite believe its as easy as all that? Anyway, I hope so.

5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Thx for your replies Mike and Spidey.:thumbs up
    I think all will be fine Mike as you are enrolled in a postgrad course thus continuing 'professional development' ...I would be surprised if they refused you a 4th waiver.

I think because you are on track and have the major part, being a postgrad course completed, that they are happy to supply another waiver ...get that TCC done and then you can certainly apply for the full teacher's license and leave the waiver malarky behind you.

spidey likes this.
  6. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Yes, thats probably true. This is actually my first waiver in a little while. I had some waivers before (at another school) but I may have maxed out. I checked the website about 4 months ago and there was no record of me....at all. Between that time and now I obviously stopped working altogether cause, I love doing things by the book.......:flim So, perhaps I am back to square one? It all seems to be going ok.

7. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Member

So culture course is still going. Thanks. Time to catch up for upcoming 3rd waiver. The last time I looked into this you required B.A. in Ed in order to enroll. I have B.A. but not in Ed. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

8. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it is the case.

9. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

afaik true. So with 'any B.A.' the option is to go the 'Spidey route' ...complete a postgrad in Ed first and then second do the TCC. Originally when Mike123 and myself did the TCC you could with just a B.A. ...the rules have changed since then.

Take a look at the link in OP concerning TCC 'where to' once postgrad Ed is completed.

10. Stamp

Yup, still the case. Kiwidrew recently posted info of a provider currently offering the TCC. Below's a screenshot.

IMG_0308.JPG

11. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

So, it would seem, the next logical question is... are there any members who have a BA in a subject other that Education, who took the post grad/PGCEi and then were allowed to enrol in the Culture course, which in turn led to the Full license?

12. Stamp

13. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Member

I tried to stay on the right thread (although dated a month back) but no reply. As my question is relevant I will try here.
    When applying for my previous waiver (2nd) I did not produce any documents other than B.A. degree copy.
    I know it will not be that easy for my 3rd waiver next year.
    The questions:
    -Is the St. Roberts IFUGAO Dip T Ed an add on to your B.A. (not in ED).
    - Is it 2 yr online.
    -Is Grace still the right contact?
    -What is the diploma?
    (i.e. qualifies for TCT or just shows continuing education)
    Any color would be appreciated.
    Thanks

14. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Have a look here too Mr. Chips:
    IFUGAO State University - Ongoing Course Information | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

1. Yes postgrad course and this course qualifies for the 'education credits' needed thus possible to then apply for FTL.
    2. 1 year if that. (Plus a few days f2f afaik)
    3.. afaik yes Grace is but from posts appears to be a little hard to get hold of ...I think there have been some posts by members in 'qualifications and courses' pertaining to this and alternate ways of contact...have a dig as more than one thread on the Dip Ed. in that forum.
    4. In education ...what you need.

As discussed before ...if you enrol in this Dip Ed and have the paperwork to prove it then your 3rd waiver on the strength of this will more than likely be granted as you are showing 'professional development'.

However, by my example you can just chance your arm and hope the 3rd waiver is granted ...a 4th was for me. But it all depends on how worried you are that you may be denied.

Good luck with your 3rd next year and keep us posted.

sirchai and Mr. Chips like this.
  15. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Member

Hey Gov. Really nice response.
    Thank you very much!