1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grade is you in?

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by sirchai, 2 Jul 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Our Thai head teacher's grade 5 English lesson.

She's also asking the kids this particular question, so it's not just a typo.

The seminars and workshops proof that their English has gotten much better. Almost skyrocketed. :porky

"Raise our flag high sky high, embrace the pride in our heart.

ASEAN we're bonded as one, looking into our World."

20160627_125744.jpg

2. sirchai

Sorry, it's what grade is your in. What only one letter can change......

3. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

another thread bad mouthing people you work with?

4. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what your point is, sirchai. It's fact of life in schools in Thailand that English language competence is not a strength. I know Masters level English language graduates now working as English teachers who struggle to string a sentence together. It is truly beautiful that the teachers in question believe they are experts, so why should they risk the potential loss of face involved in asking me to check their work. Funnily enough the ones that do ask for help are usually significantly more competent. A few years ago this led to one of my all time favourites : Happy Chinese's New Year, printed up at great expense on a banner. Perhaps your approach is indicative of the fact that you have never taken a Teachers Council of Thailand Professional Knowledge Test - once you have done one of these, you will never be surprised by any aspect of the 'mongrelisation' of the English language! I would strongly suggest you learn to live with this stuff because it ain't gonna change ... not in our life time anyhows.

NODIIT and sirchai like this.
  5. sirchai

I know that things won't change in my lifetime regarding teaching here. But when you're teaching the same students and tell them the right sentences, they might think that you're wrong.

Sorry, not worth to go deeper into it. When others call that badmouthing of a colleague, it's another thing.

The lady has a Master's in English and I know who her thesis wrote..

I'll start and act like the three Chinese monkeys from now on.

6. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Do tell...of whom did her thesis write? I didn't know theses could write. Look, sirchai, virtually all of your posts are fraught with either poor writing style or grammar attempts. Obviously, the colleague you dislike so much is not a native English speaker. She does have nice handwriting though. When I taught P1, one of my students was writing Thuvsday instead of Thursday...and when I corrected her...she pointed to my model on the white board...dang, even I'm not perfect.

ramses and portnoy58 like this.
  7. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I thought sirchai was being very witty and taking off his colleague's English!

8. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

That's 5 minutes of my life I'm never getting back

9. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

She writes beautifully. I'm impressed at how well Chinese students write. Thai's aren't bad.

If anybody wants examples of teachers who deserve to be bad mouthed, PM me. Your skin will crawl.

10. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

I walked in on a class being taught by an NES (Oz to be fair) and he had written hammberger on the board. he tried to play it off as intentional and asked the kids to spot the misspelled word. He did correct it to hamberger once the kids gave a blank look.

at my current school, a former ELD teacher who started teaching social studies had written a prompt on the board without regard to rules about parallel structure. I pointed it out, and he said 'right-o'. then he asked how it should be written. I fixed it for him. He won't be back next year, pity that.

The issue is not this teacher or Thai teachers. The issue is being able to bring about improvement regardless of where you are.

11. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Arrrgghh! Bad memories surfacing ....yep dat wuz sum ingrish eh.

Yeah SirChai help your fellow T-shirts with their grammar or just plain ignore it when you see it. I think many schools where English is taught by NNES you will see mistakes, all of my TA's make mistakes and I help them correct it. I proof read 90% of their course work and exams (not that I have to, I do it to help a fellow teacher) and when a mistake is found then I try my best to explain why it is a mistake and what is the correct way to go about it.
    Hell, I'm not perfect and make the odd mistake too ...sometimes its a student that points it out ....well done to the student and no I haven't lost face .....good to see them thinking.

So SirChai, be mellow, be happy, be helpful (or not) and don't let it bother you so much. Enjoy Sunday as Sunday is no work xxx GBG.

Stamp and ramses like this.
  12. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

......He may have even corrected it to be hamburger as well........

Mister T likes this.
  13. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is because you care about the children's education, but Sirchai some (myself included) would see your repeated criticism of your co-workers in an open forum such as this one as unprofessional. It may be worth remembering that in the future you will be judged on your character for recommendations of work. I would not feel safe recommending someone who constantly talks behind the backs of others and specifically identifies those that he is criticising.

Tonyja likes this.
  14. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

no. had he i would have given him credit for it.

15. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

At my last school in the EP, I used to follow a Thai teacher with my listening/speaking class. She would fill up the white board with English for the students to copy while she sat at her desk and prepped for her after school classes. House rule was to clean the boards when finishing class, she never did. I would not say a word to the students about the mistakes, just line through and write the corrections above. The students would just smile and leave it on the board until she came back. I can be so subtle. :innocent:innocent2

NODIIT likes this.