1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your input in such a job offer?

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by sirchai, 20 Dec 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I've signed up at a website and always receive plenty of job offers. But I've never even thought about teaching in Indonesia, pretty much a men dominated country.

New Job Offer 264941 from Indonesia
    SA
    SeriousTeachers Job Alerts

For Academic year 2017 – 2018, we are recruiting for the following:
    Jakarta Campus:
    Primary School Teachers: English, Math, Science, Chinese
    Secondary teachers: General Science, Math
    A Levels Teachers: Accounting/Business Studies, General Paper, Chemistry
    Career Counselor
    Academic Dean
    Surabaya Campus:
    A Levels Teachers: ICT, Accounting, Business Studies
    Requirements:
    • Bachelor or Master Degree in relevant studies
    • Trained teacher with more than 3 years relevant working experience in teaching
    • Good ICT skills
    • Dedicated, flexible, enthusiastic & energetic
    • Good interpersonal skills
    • Excellent communication skills
    • For Academic Dean: Training in curriculum development and staff development an
    advantage
    The P.I.A.G.E.T Academy started in 2001 as an International School in adopting the
    Singapore Education System and its examinations as a response to the vision of
    developing Singapore into an educational hub of the region.
    Today P.I.A.G.E.T Academy has transformed into an organization that has developed its
    own brand of international education system along the Singapore educational model.
    Piaget Academy operates two schools in Indonesia located in Jakarta and Surabaya. It
    has offices in Singapore and Jakarta.
    Benefits:
    Annual performance bonus
    Accommodation provided/housing allowance
    Annual home leave
    Medical/Dental benefits
    We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview in Jan-Feb

• Any input about this place would be deeply appreciated. Thanks a lot.

2. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

cant imagine a job like that being any better than any number of gigs in thailand.

their english and academic skills might be a shade better than your average thai school. but if you're already in LOS and know some language and whatnot, it would hardly be worth it.

i think the job hunt comes down to an inner desire to adventure. darwinism and man's innate desire to see what's over the hill. ...all of which has nothing to do with teaching and how good or bad a given job is. in short, there is no reason...not a 1...to suspect that a job in indonesia ("international school" LOL) would be any different than anywhere else.

3. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

You are aware that "Serious Teachers" ( Serious Teachers - Jobs - TEFL ) poaches a lot of job ads from other sites.

*We have seen a number of our job ads our our schools posted there and we have never used their site.

sirchai, stfranalum and SageAdvice like this.
  4. professeur

professeur Well-Known Member

Doesn't contain any information on expected salary range or payed holidays. Therefore I couldn't be bothered myself.

fred flintstone likes this.
  5. gungchang

gungchang Over the hill for at least the 6th time!

I was not aware. I'll avoid them.

6. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

^ there are lots of decent entry level jobs on there.

as far as the site itself goes, it's a smidge dodgy imo.

like daveseslcafe, it's a meet (meat) market. buyer beware. a couple of the jobs ive gotten on daves were some of the sausage grindiest jobs in each of their respective cities.

entry level stuff, but in that vein, hey, its a chance to see a new place and of course, get a job.

7. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Superwoman

The problem with serious teachers website is that you get a host of emails from recruiters. Recruiters aren't always bad, but when you get twenty emails a day from recruiters, you don't know which one is good or reputable.

As for the OP... I wouldn't work in Indonesia. I've heard too many negative things and I just wouldn't work there.

8. muppetminder

muppetminder Member

Indonesia could be OK depending on where you are. EF seems to dominate. Long hours for very average pay. Indo is hot and many mod cons from even big city Issan might not be found.

I think travel opptys some of most adventurous in East Asia at present.

Food ok, transport sucks. People friendly, language easy.

9. muppetminder

muppetminder Member

Surabaya would most likely be the best choice. Singapore system if properly implemented would be at minimum lower middle tier Intl school here.

Financially challenged single men with degrees should be in China or Vietnam. Thailand has zero career trajectory, low pay.

So much oppty elsewhere. Ambitious people in China can make serious money.

IMO there will be a rethink on EP programs. Non Thai, NNES teaching subjects ineffective, low quality. Even EP will be questioned bc many Thai students just don't make the effort.

stfranalum likes this.
  10. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Why do you suppose that is?

11. muppetminder

muppetminder Member

12. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Especially not when you're female. Sh., a very helpful mod on the "other site" once sent me a private message what happened to her and her female friend when on holiday in Indonesia.

They're walking along a beach when some "friendly men" were trying to molest them. No way to go to the cops for an understandable reason.

They finally fled Indonesia and went to Malaysia. No country for foreign women.

Internationalteacher likes this.